Wednesday 6 March 2013

4Seven Ident

One day when experimenting with After Effects I wondered to myself if I could create a paper rip effect completely digitally. Its one of those things that I have seen on TV but I can remember where. If I could, it would make a fantastic transaction for videos. I think it comes from those cheesy scene transactions that I saw on 'Kenan and Kel' when I was younger.



I thought the best way to make a reusable torn paper transition would be to make a matte that any layer can be track matted to another layer in After Effects. I began by ripping  up a dark page in a magazine and scanning the two half into Photoshop. I then used the magic wand and colour grading tools to separate the pictured part of the paper from its torn edge. I isolated the torn edge and made it a separate layer. Then I isolated the the two image pieces, making them a seperate layers, Top and Bottom. 


This is what the final looks like, you can not see the tear because it fits nicely under the Top (black) layer. this can later be luma invert matted to any layer in After Effects. The Bottom (white) layer must have the torn layer parented to it and can be luma matted to a copy of the same layer as the Top. Both couples must be pre-comped  and then the page turn effect can be added to the Top layer and animated to create the illusion that the paper is being ripped in half. If this is used as a transaction, the next piece of video can be layered under these two layers.

I decided to use this effect to create the 4Seven Ident and enter it into the competition. I thought it could be a nice quick animation which I could use to learn a new skill, and if it worked out well I could make into a little tutorial and give back a little something to the motion graphics community.

Here is an image which influenced me a bit. Its a very unusual effect which seems like it would be too difficult to achieve  physically but can be done very effectively using digital means. 
Watch the animation at:  http://vimeo.com/60763684 


My Final:


I'm very happy with my final piece, It has been a nice little break from my other, longer project and I have learnt a new skill! I don't think I need to make any real improvements on it, but I have the effect in my catalogue to use when ever I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment