Thursday 26 January 2012

Business of Animation- Live Brief

Heinz
The Heinz brief is to create an advert showing how fun and zingy it is to eat Salad cream. Getting young children as excited about salad cream now as they used to be. I planned to create foods which you would salad cream on. I took inspiration from old cereal adverts and tried to show how Salad cream brings out excitment and energy in food. Here is the first attempt:



I was given feedback that the chip (on top of the diving board) was unclear and so I had to change it. Otherwise I had not added sound yet which was another element I need to improve on. This aniamtion may have been alot better if I had generic characters for the foods but due to time shortage i was unable to do this, I know this is not realy a valid excuse but it is the truth. Here is the animation after I re-made the chip into a piece of broccoli and added sound:



I had a little play around with the colours aswell because i recieved feedback that the purple fence looked like the it was from catfood 'whiskers' advert. I feel that the sound can be improved, Im not a particular fan of the 'splat' when the broccoly lands in the salad cream. but in terms of aniamtion I feel that the story makes sense and is visually exciting with bright colours and believeable behaviours.

Kino 10
The Kino10 brief is to create a 5-20 second ident, which they will be able to play at the beginning of shows. I took this oppertunity to learn some new After Effects tutorials and  just have a play with all the different settings i could. The brief states that they want; something internet bloggers will talk about, something that will show some history of animation and look towards the future. Pretty tall order for 20 seconds, but I tried to fit as much as i could in.
I took the audio from Matt Tucker http://soundcloud.com/snare_65 
I had to edit the volume a bit so that when the screen fuzzes up, the volume drops. I tried to add soem static but that ruined the song. I felt the track without the static was a bit more elegent.

I animated this a few times. I came back to it at later dates in attempt to make it more interesting but not over the top, this also gave me a chance to experiment with alot of the presets on After Effects. Here are the 3 stages I went through:



At first i put in all the elements that the brief asks for, the different animation apparatus are shown centre screen, reffering to the history and the entire animation shows a stand by screen with a count down which is a classic intro to a feature film. Problems were that it was too long and needed a bit more umph!



So here i may have gone a bit over board, firstly i cut it down to 12 seconds but i also wanted to make it look as though the film was skipping. The feedback i got was that it made people throw up a little. so i knwe i had to slow it down.



Finally I slowed it down a whole lot and made the background lighter so that the logo and text pops a bit more. I also recieved feedback that because the text 'please stand by' is too fine it may be fuzzy when played on a tv screen, I felt fine with that because it will only add to the effect im attempting to portray. I may think about adding the music from the origional back in.

2 comments:

  1. i really like it man, nice and simple as always. idk what to suggest to improve on with after effects wise, but, maybe before it says kino 10", maybe it says incoming transmission?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahh thats quite a good idea, & thanks. Did u get a look at the custard factory logo? id love to see what u can come up with in cinema4d

      Delete