Tuesday 2 October 2012

Shatter/ Fracture Test


For this project I'm looking to create realistic looking 3D objects in Maya which I can then composite in After Effects to make some sweet looking effects. I started off by looking for a plugin for Maya which would  create the fracture simulation for me and I found PullDownIt. I've seen some amazing things online using this plugin but the limited/free version is very hard to install and according to a few online forums it doesn't work with Maya 2012. 

I finally gave up trying to get it and decided to fix a technological issue with creativity, turns out Maya already has a shatter simulation, but it only seems to create equal sized pieces, so I over came that by hiding a small ball, also with a shatter effect added to it within the pipe object in my scene. This made the simulation seem a bit more realistic, and I can go another step down by placing an even smaller object inside if I need to create even smaller particles. The next thing I intend to do is to create one object colliding with another.

My final idea is to have a a bullet fly into a mantelpiece clock, a shard of which flies out into the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment